I found the recipe for this bread here during a recent pinterest browse. It was mid afternoon and I had already been planning to make Italian for dinner, this fit perfectly. I didn't have all the ingredients in the original recipe but subbed for what I had and it turned out wonderfully! Very simple and quick. Warm right out of the oven with butter - delicious!!
Rosemary Olive Oil Bread
INGREDIENTS 1 cup warm water (100-110 F) 1 Tbsp. sugar 2 tsp. active dry yeast 1 tsp. salt 2 Tbsp. fresh rosemary, chopped (or 2 tsp. dried) 1/4 tsp. Italian seasoning (or pinch of each ground garlic, dried oregano, and dried basil) 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper 2 Tbsp. High quality extra virgin olive oil 1 1/2 cups AP flour 1/2 cup bread flour + extra for kneading 1 egg, whisked + 1 Tbsp. water, for egg wash dried rosemary, for sprinkling
DIRECTIONS 1. In a large bowl, combine the warm water, sugar, and yeast. Let sit 10 minutes to proof.
2. Stir in the salt, rosemary, seasonings, olive oil, and whole wheat flour. Add the bread flour and stir until the dough forms a ball. Knead on a lightly floured surface for about 5 minutes, adding more flour as necessary to prevent sticking, until smooth.
3. Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl; cover; and let rise until doubled in size, about1 hour.
4. Punch down the dough and form it into a round loaf. Place it on a cornmeal dusted pizza peel or parchment paper; cover; and let rise until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, preheat oven (and pizza stone) to 400 F. Once the dough has risen, gently brush the top with egg wash and sprinkle with dried rosemary.
6. Bake on preheated stone for 20-25 minutes until the top is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped.